Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Usworth Spiritualists

The Spiritualist Church in Usworth and Washington in the 1920s and 30s


In January 2026 documents were discovered in the private papers of Martin Guy (1882–1949) relating to the activities of the Spiritualist Church in Usworth and Washington during the 1920s and 30s. Martin, a former miner who had been severely wounded in the First World War, was living at Dorcas Terrace, Washington at the time.

The Spiritualist Church was at its most popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The movement believes in a universal God, the immortality of the soul, and the possibility of communication with the spirit world through mediums, to prove that life continues after death. Its focus is The Seven Principles of Spiritualism, emphasising God’s fatherhood, human brotherhood, spirit communication, the soul’s continuous existence, personal responsibility, future compensation or retribution, and eternal progress. It is not a separate denomination, as members still worship in conventional churches and chapels.


Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a leading proponent of spiritualism following the death of his son in 1918, and took part in many séances in an attempt to contact him. After the First World War there was a resurgence in the movement, with families of dead soldiers attempting to contact their loved ones.

There were about sixty members in Washington, and they typically held a dozen meetings a month, with Martin keeping a careful record of income and expenditure. Two or three times a month they were visited by speakers and service leaders from Jarrow, Benton, Hebburn, Bill Quay, Gateshead or Sunderland, and paid them up to five shillings for their services. A typical service included up to 35 notices, hymns, readings, and “thoughts”, with multiple contributions, and must have lasted well over an hour.
Thus, in June 1931, headings on the list included:


Never forget to pray
In the garden
The Hem of His Garment
Be kind to each other
There’s work to be done
Health is Wealth
Sapphire Throne
We all might do good
The Bible and It just means
Bread and Butter


The last was delivered by Jenny Todd, known locally as a visiting child medium. Other contributions of hers were Does Jesus care? and, with Ina Robinson, a duologue titled The Presence of Angels. Miss Cumpson, another who visited other churches, offered a solo, Daddy. Martin’s own handwritten notes for sermons show a good deal of research, with quotations from Shakespeare, Tennyson, Burns and Wordsworth. Fees paid to speakers were around 2/- to 5/- (about £20 today)


Usworth Spiritual Church Sermon


In November 1931 Martin Guy delivered a sermon, fourteen foolscap pages in length, titled ‘What The Flowers Say’. As well as musing about twelve different species it was interspersed with poems and hymns*.  It is beautifully handwritten and clearly well researched, probably using the public library or the library in the Miners’ Hall. It must have taken a lot of patience—and a strong bladder—to sit through!

* The Rose, The Wallflower, The lily, The Hawthorn, The Pink, The Fuchsia, The Sweet William, Violet and Forget Me Not, The Daisy, The Pansy, The Mignonette

 

Members of the Usworth Congregation

 

The Orders of Service found in Martin Guy’s records give the names of members contributing, with recitations and inspirational messages. Whole families seem to have taken part. Family names of those attending services were well known in the Usworth and Washington areas at the time. They included: Embleton, Longworth, Dawson, Lowden, Milburn, Wardle, Guy, Todd, Hepple, Quinn, Robinson, Simpson, Race, Astley and Cummings. (click on the images below to enlarge).

Premises


During the 1920s and 30s services were held in members’ homes and in rented premises at Usworth Colliery and New Washington- now Concord. Financial records show some meetings took place in the old Usworth Colliery School (later the Pawson’s clothing factory).Other meetings were held in a hut behind the Kings Cinema Usworth Colliery and in James Anderson’s shop New Washington (a J E Anderson was president of the church at one time during this period). .  Finally, they moved into rooms above Washington CO‑op, Victoria Rd New Washington, in February 1935. Martin’s records show they were free of debt from November 1932.
Note: All Washington photographs courtesy of www.raggyspelk.co.uk 
However, the Ordnance Survey map of 1939 shows a Spiritualist Church in Chapel Street, Usworth Colliery, just yards from the Edith Avenue Methodist Chapel, possibly on the site of the huts. ( A contributor to the Raggyspelk website recalled that two children were ejected from a spiritualist meeting in the hut behind the Kings Cinema because they had laughed at the efforts of a medium to contact the dead through a Red Indian guide!)

To date we have not been able to find out when this opened, its structure or how long it survived as a church. Martin Guy does not refer to it in later diary entries. He died in 1949, and his wife, Sarah, in 1952.

Local Newspaper References to the Usworth Spiritual Church

11 Oct 1927 Newcastle Chronicle – Usworth and Washington District Spiritualist Society held a Harvest Festival and sent flowers, fruit and vegetables to the Royal Victoria Hospital.

19 Mar 1928 Journal – Mr and Mrs [Thomas] Hackworth [Under‑manager of Usworth Pit] were given a goodbye present at the Spiritualist Church in Usworth Colliery Schools.

23 July 1932 Sunderland Echo – Mrs Nevins of Usworth (a trance medium) was a speaker at Monkwearmouth Spiritual Church.

15 Aug 1934 Sunderland Echo – Fire at Usworth Spiritualist Church premises (a wooden hut) behind the Kings Cinema, surrounded by caravans. Mrs Nesbitt from one caravan ran in to warn the occupants. No injuries or real damage; furniture and benches saved. Women members were enjoying their “Bright Hour Circle”. Two men were present: W. Gowland and J. Cowper.

1935– Miss Todd, a child medium from Usworth, was to be a guest speaker at Monkwearmouth, Millfield and Cromwell Street spiritualist churches.

15 April 1935 Sunderland Echo– The Building Fund of New Washington Progressive Spiritualist Church benefited from a concert by the Bright Stars Concert Party in the Co‑operative Hall, New Washington, presided over by Mr J. E. Anderson.

 

Notes in Martin Guy’s Diary on Spiritualist Church Activities

13 July 1929 – Usworth Christian Church of Spiritualism opened by Mr Mitchell. Doors opened by Mr J. Howorth, President, followed by tea.

14 July 1929 – Mr H. Thirlwell of Hetton preached the first service.

21 June 1931 – First children’s anniversary conducted by Mr H. Thirlwell. Mr Guy (President) and T. Ramsay (Secretary) paraded the streets with the children collecting money. Realised £1‑9‑7d; 14s‑9d inside the church, an improvement on the previous year. Second Sunday services conducted by Councillor Pickering of Gateshead. Mr Astley presiding. Votes of thanks by Guy and Ramsay. Mr Laws and sons were organists.

19 July 1931 – Attended Herrington Burn service in YMCA hut.

6 October 1932 – Grand Cantata (Springtime and Flowers).

3 November 1932 – Usworth c spiritualist was paid for & free from debt.

16 July 1933 – Naming ceremony.

28 November 1933 – Church opened in Co‑Op Hall.

21 January 1934 – Opened room at Anderson’s Shop; removed from Co‑Op.

17 February 1935 – Opening of Church in Co‑Op Hall. Demonstration of clairvoyance by Sarah Guy (Martin’s wife).

26 April 1936 – A Christening took place at Usworth C.S. Church. A child belonging to Percy Howarth, son of President Jane Howarth. Ceremony performed by Ed. Stephenson of S. Moor, D.S.P.L.

 

Decline and Legacy

There were about a quarter of a million spiritualists in Britain during the inter‑war years, with similar churches at Millfield, Monkwearmouth, South Shields (four), Southwick, Hebburn and Sunderland. But the heyday of the Spiritualist Church in Usworth and Washington seems to have been in the 1920s and early 1930s. There were many who opposed spiritualism; indeed, in 1951 it became illegal to claim to be a psychic, medium or spiritualist while attempting to deceive and make money from deception. But Martin’s grandson remembers him as the kindest, most community‑minded man he ever knew, and doesn't’ recall any family talk about the church.

At present we are not aware of any spiritualist churches in Washington, but there are several in the North East, including Sunderland, Gateshead and Wallsend.

Washington History Society would like to hear from anyone who knows about family member who might have attended the church. Contact us at washingtonhistorysoc@gmail.com