Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Subbuteo Football

Subbuteo Football

When bad weather prevented us from playing outdoors, Keith and I would often play in my house. We enjoyed playing board games such as ‘Monopoly’ and ‘Escalado’ (a horse-racing game) but we mostly played Subbuteo table football, though we usually set the pitch out on the floor where we crawled on hands and knees to flick the playing figures with our fingers. I became obsessed with the game and spent hours playing alone because Keith was less interested than me and, since he didn’t have his own set to practice with, he usually lost to me, got disheartened and refused to play on.

The first Subbuteo set I got was ordered by post – I believe that I’d seen it advertised in a weekly football magazine, ‘Soccer Star’, which my parents bought for me. The first set arrived in a small cardboard box and consisted of cardboard footballer figures –one team in red shirts and the other in royal blue - which had to be glued into plastic bases to enable them to be flicked with fingers to strike a plastic ball. The goals were constructed of wire and plastic and paper goal nets had to be fixed to the goal frames. No playing pitch was provided but a set of instructions on how to mark out a pitch on an army-type blanket was included. My dad, as patient as ever, was able to set out a playing field by using chalk to draw the lines.

After some time, two sets of celluloid playing figures were bought for me – the cardboard figures had taken a battering and needed replacing! New goals with nets made of cotton thread were also bought. I didn’t receive ‘pocket money’ but comics and magazines were provided for me and, on shopping expeditions to Newcastle or Sunderland, I was allowed to select a ‘new’ team and bases at Stan Seymour’s sports shop or the Murton House Co-op in Newcastle, or Willie Watson’s sports shop in Sunderland. I built up a substantial collection of teams which I kept in empty ‘Sun-pat’ raisin boxes. I played the game well into my teens teaching my brothers how to play. Later, I taught my children the game and organised a Subbuteo Club  whilst teaching at Donwell Primary School in Washington.
I probably spent as much time playing the game as youngsters today spend on electronic games. Subbuteo came to be played world-wide and there are serious collectors of teams and other accessories which the company developed. There are also tournaments in which exponents of the game can compete. I can never recall being bored – I read, drew and played Subbuteo if I wasn’t playing outdoors!

John Suggett 2021